making the wobble vision[note: this file is not mine. i originally found it at http://cree.ucs.indiana.edu:1729/pathogenic/wobble.html
that site has been down for some time, and i dont know the original author. i liked this page, so i put it up here.
if this is your document, and you dont want it posted here, let me know.
dont kill yourself trying to build this. electricity is at dangerously high levels in your TV.]
the author assumes no responsibility for fire, electrocution, damage to equipment, or death incurred on those who attempt to follow these instructions. read all instructions, and all CAUTIONS before proceeding. electricity is not a toy.
NOTE: always make sure the television is unplugged before opening it up and fooling around with it.
- television. it must at least put a pinpoint of light on the center of the screen when one turns it on. the sound, tuning, vertical hold, etc. need not work. i suggest using a teevee which is broken in every respect other than that it still throws a pinpoint of light on the screen.
- wire. enough wire to reach from the teevee to a stereo, times four.
- electricians tape. just a little here and there.
- screwdriver, or other means to open up teevee (see 1).
- wire cutters. sufficient to cut wire.
- wire strippers. sufficient to strip wire ends.
- nimble fingers. avoid the deadly suction cup (see below).
CAUTION: the impedance of teevee electromagnets may not match that of one's stereo. one may easily burn out one's stereo by using the wobblevision for extended periods of time. putting more resistance between teevee and stereo might help.
- open teevee up.
- locate picture tube, top view looks like this:
---+ / | / | +----+-+--- | =====| | | | ^ +----+-+--- | | ^ \ | | | \ | | | ---+ wires going to | back of tube. | do not touch. | | | this is the yoke. it contains electromagnets. the electromagnets guide the electrons to the phosphors on the tube. there should be FOUR (in some cases more) wires going to the yoke, normally different colors.
- cut the four wires going to the yoke.
- you now have EIGHT loose wires, where the four wires were cut. FOUR of these loose ends are still attached to the interior circuitry of the teevee. put electricians tape on the ends of these wires to prevent shorts.
- take the remaining FOUR loose ends, which are bound to the yoke. strip their ends. splice these four wires to the four long wires mentioned in ingredients. tape up the connections with electricians tape to prevent shorts.
- these four long wires should now be attached to a stereo as the four speaker wires.
- close up teevee.
- turn on teevee, stereo. play and watch music.
- if nothing appears, or if picture is weird, shift the wires around from their positions. you need to find the correct pairing so that one speaker port feeds one electromagnet. a multimeter set on connectivity check might be of assistance here to find the two pairs of wires connected to a given electromagnet.
- if it is working correctly, the horizontal control should correspong to one channel, vertical to the other. by shifting the phase from left to right one should be able to shift the image.